Sunday, June 04, 2006

Chrebet Retires After 11 Seasons

After 11-seasons with the New York Jets, wide receiver Wayne Chrebet called it a career after overcoming many obstacles on his path to be a football player in the NFL. In the end, it was too many concussions (three in as many years and possibly six for his career) that did him in.

"I'm thankful to everybody who was with me for the ride," said the 32-year-old Chrebet, who paused several times to compose himself at his press conference. "I'm just overwhelmed by the support I've received over the years and especially on days like this."

Chrebet was the poster boy for underachievers. The 5-10, 188-pound undrafted wideout from Hofstra wasn't supposed to have a career in the National Football League. He signed with the Jets and quickly became a clutch receiver in camp. He eventually started all 16 games as a rookie.

"You can't imagine how it feels to be me right now," Chrebet said. "I always told people I believed I could do this and certainly my first day here, a 70-year-old security guard didn't let me into practice. I could either laugh it off and go on my journey or take it as a sign it wasn't going to happen. I didn't take that sign. I believed in myself."

He is second on the all-time team career receptions list with 580 and third with 7,365 yards. His 41 career touchdowns are eighth in Jets history. One stat that proves how clutch he was is that 379 of his catches went for first downs.

"His story is that of a long shot, a consummate overachiever," team owner Woody Johnson said. "Wayne's trajectory of success represents everything that is great about this sport."

He wasn't big. He didn't have blazing speed, but Chrebet had something that scouts can't measure with their stopwatches and tape measures - he had heart. It was sheer guts, determination and persistence that made Chrebet the player he turned out to be.

His undefeatable spirit and rock-solid work ethic is the blueprint and inspiration for a new generation of players who may not have all the intangibles, but have the fire of desire inside them to make it in the NFL. Chrebet is the model - the standard bearer - the proof that it can be done.

"He inspired me every day," running back Curtis Martin said. "I loved the way he played and how he never backed down from anything. He was an incredible teammate. He was a warrior, and I always felt you'd have to kill him to get the upper hand on him. If every player in the NFL had as much heart and desire as he had, football would be illegal."


That in a nutshell is what made Chrebet so special. He was tough, hard-nosed, competitive and fun to watch. Chrebet was a great player, a class act and all that's good about the NFL.



Check out the most complete guide to coaching youth football ever created!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»